Thursday, March 1, 2012

Some Meatloaf Stories

I love a good meatloaf… especially when DFJ makes it. He uses his mom’s classic recipe and because he’s made it so many times, I think he just remembers the ingredients he needs to throw together without measuring precisely. It always turns out great! Every time he makes the offer to cook for me, this is my number one request. A wonderfully homey meat dish that fills my belly and makes me feel so happy. As much as I love meatloaf, I hate touching the ground beef… it gets underneath my nails and because my hands are always dry and cracked, I have this weird fear that I will get an infection from some bacteria in the raw meat entering the little cuts in my knuckles.

DFJ made meatloaf Sunday night and we’ve been having it for dinner several times now. (Unfortunately, I was too excited to start eating that I forgot to take a picture of the whole thing!) I ain’t complaining because I love leftovers, especially leftover meatloaf. Sunday night we had it with some quinoa. Monday night we had it with some of the leftover Three Cheese Rigatoni with Brussels Sprouts and Fig-Cran-Apple Sauce. Tuesday night we had it with creamy mashed potatoes seasoned with fresh rosemary, salt, and pepper, and some salad.




























Wednesday night, when I was in the sourest mood because I was stressing about someone's ex-girlfriend having to make her existence known (pardon me, just being real), going skiing for the very first time this weekend, and not having enough time to work out because there are other priorities, DFJ was incredibly nice and patient, and made this…




























More leftover meatloaf, quinoa and brown rice with mushrooms cooked in chicken broth, and sautéed spinach with tomatoes on homemade beer bread with melted mozzarella. One of the stresses immediately disappeared… who cares about ex-girlfriends? I feel really loved right now. I’m still stressed out about skiing though. Can anyone assuage my fears, please??? 


P.S. I will share the Beer Bread recipe soon.

6 comments:

  1. Ex-GFs, skiing, and not being able to work out would DEFINITELY stress me out as well. totally get it. I went skiing once in college and my only advice is this - NEVER point your skis directly down the mountain. Always try to be perpendicular to the mountain and zigzag back and forth...and you'll be fine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joanne! I didn't go on any other slopes but the bunny one. I'm a chicken like that. But I definitely get why you said never point skis directly down. When I'm brave enough, definitely will follow the zigzag and perpendicular thing. Glad I'm not alone on the stress thing!

      Delete
  2. Sorry, but skiing is out of my league. Be sure to have fun :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I eventually had fun once I got over my fears... On the bunny slope! Lol!

      Delete
  3. Mhmm there's nothing like comfort food to destress. And don't worry about the skiing! Just remember to work on your pizzas before your French fries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kyleen, I definitely worked on my pizzas like crazy... French fries, maybe some other time. Lol!

      Delete

Let me know what your thoughts are... Your comments always make my day!