Saturday, February 4, 2012

The Bittersweetness of Saying Goodbye to a Job + Pumpkin Pancakes with Cranberries and White Chocolate

Does anyone else out there hoard pumpkin purees? Well, I do… especially when my favorite brand is on sale at Fred Meyer’s (2/$3.00… sweet!), Farmer’s Market Organic Pumpkin from Corvallis, Oregon. Why do I like it so much? All pumpkin purees probably taste the same. However, this brand is something that I happened to see in one of Ina Garten’s cookbooks. If Ina uses it, then that means something, right?  

Tuesday morning was a big day for DFJ. It was the last day of his post doc assignment. So, I decided to do something nice for him because the last day at your workplace is always a bittersweet thing. I know that on my last day at the ESL academy, where I worked as an instructor, there was a lump in my throat the whole day. And during the last days of my student teaching and practicum placements, I could not keep myself from crying. My tears fell unabashedly… a very awkward sight to see. 

My plan was to make a good breakfast which might help perk Dr. DFJ up. Pancakes are always a surefire way to make one’s day, so I decided to make these delicious pumpkin pancakes. I have made these a couple of times before and he loved them. To make it more special, I amped it up by adding some secret surprises. The result was lovely! Every bite is full of warm, zesty, spiced-pumpkin flavor, with the sweet bits of white chocolate and dried cranberries.



































Pumpkin Pancakes with Cranberries (Makes about 10 small pancakes)

1 cup whole wheat flour   
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp nutmeg, freshly grated
¼ tsp cinnamon

1 egg
1 ½ tbsp unsalted butter, melted
6 Tbsp pumpkin puree
4 Tbsp yogurt, plain (whole milk, low fat, nonfat, all are ok)
¼ cup milk (whole milk, low fat, nonfat, all are ok)
½ tsp orange zest

1/8 cup white chocolate chips
1/8 cup dried cranberries



In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together well.

In a separate bowl, whisk the egg, melted butter, pumpkin puree, yogurt, orange zest, and milk well.

Slowly mix the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients with a mixing spatula, and stir until well combined.

Throw in the chocolate chips and the cranberries and mix until well combined.

Heat a nonstick skillet with a teaspoon of butter over medium heat. When the skillet is hot, drop a quarter cup of the batter and cook one side for about a minute and a half. Turn with a spatula and cook the other side for a little less than a minute. There should be slight burns on the pancake.  

The tricky thing about this batter is it doesn’t bubble because of the thickness. So, watch out for it!

To keep warm, store in an oven preheated to 225 degrees F until it is ready to be served.

Serve warm with a dab of butter or peanut butter and a moderate dose of honey, maple syrup, or jam.


Savor these with a nice cup of coffee!

6 comments:

  1. Thank you Kyleen! We enjoyed them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by my blog. These pancakes look wonderful! So many good flavors going on here :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stephanie! The white chocolate and cranberries did it for me!

      Delete
  3. I am a total pumpkin puree hoarder! My husband thinks I'm insane! As soon as those little sugar pumpkins come out I start roasting them and freezing them for the winter. I just made some baked pumpkin oatmeal with some. YUM! Will be trying these for sure. Thanks for commenting on my site. It's like Christmas when I get a comment from someone other than my mother :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baked pumpkin oatmeal? That sounds so good! Oatmeal is one of my favorite foods ever. Is the recipe for that on your blog somewhere? I can totally relate to the getting a comment feeling. I don't reallyknow if anyone visits my blog other than myself. Lol!

      Delete

Let me know what your thoughts are... Your comments always make my day!