Sunday, May 5, 2013

Guacamole, Radish, and Egg Sandwich

Lately, I have been craving simplicity. Basic yoga poses just feel so deliciously good and rejuvenating to my body. Easy cardio activities, such as slow runs, long walks in the sun while talking to family members from afar, hikes with friends, or reading a book while on the elliptical machine gives me just the right amount of energy to continue on with my day. Simple food that asks for nothing more than olive oil, salt, and pepper has been my go to these days. It tastes good, it makes me feel good, and it makes my body smile.

So today, I offer you a humble sandwich that is equally delicious, healthy, and satisfying. All you need are a few simple ingredients and you are all set… an avocado for making guacamole, a radish or two, some fresh eggs, and good bread.
 
 
 
Because life has been hectic over the past few weeks, I have not been making homemade bread, so I used Dave’s Killer Bread for this open-face sandwich. I love its flavor and texture and all the good grains that are in it! You don’t have to just use sandwich bread for this, you can use sourdough, French bread, whatever you have works.
 
 

 Guacamole, Radish, and Egg Sandwich (Makes 4 open-face sandwiches)

4 slices of bread (toasted or not, whatever you prefer)
guacamole (recipe below)
1-2 radish bulbs, thinly sliced
2 boiled eggs, sliced (hard-boiled or soft, whatever you prefer)
smoked salt (fleur de sel or just Kosher salt will work too)

Place the bread on a plate. Spread a generous spoonful of guacamole. Top with the radish slices. Place egg slices on top of the radish slices. Sprinkle with smoked salt.

 
Guacamole  

1 large avocado
fresh lime juice from half a lime
¼ teaspoon salt
freshly ground black pepper
cilantro leaves (optional)

Cut the avocado in half using a sharp, thin knife and carefully remove the seed. Scoop out the avocado flesh with a spoon into the bowl. Mash the avocado with a fork. Squeeze lime juice on the mashed avocado, sprinkle the salt and pepper, and mix everything well together using a fork. Toss in some cilantro leaves and mix well. Adjust the salt and pepper to taste.

2 comments:

  1. I love this simple sandwich. Reading your other post, I can definitely see that you need a break! This looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always trying to find a way to really enjoy radishes and I think these sandwiches are definitely it! simple and oh so satisfying.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what your thoughts are... Your comments always make my day!