Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Simple Collard Green Stir-Fry

Do you ever have those moments when you are completely powerless against your own convictions? I generally stay away from store-bought pastries because my principle is: “Make it if you want to eat it.” Last week however, DFJ and I bought an indecent quantity of donuts, pastries, and cookies from a bakery and consumed everything within five days. As if that wasn’t enough, I gorged on grocery-store donut holes that a co-worker brought in the classroom to share. It was a nice gesture and after donut hole #7 I lost count.

During these moments of weakness, I redeem myself by eating more vegetables than usual. One of my most favorite ways of preparing vegetables is stir-frying them. It brings out their flavors and juices while still retaining their freshness and crunch. Vegetables are great! They really need nothing more than a good coating of olive oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.

 
Today I want to share with you the simplest of all recipes. Nothing fancy, just a couple of vegetables tossed together in a pan… Collard green ribbons with colorful embellishments of carrot and bell pepper slices. Collard greens have a strong flavor when eaten raw… I can’t quite describe the taste except to say that it tastes very green with some slight bitterness (you can taste healthiness in these leaves). However, once they are cooked, these flavor tone down a notch. If strong, green flavor is not your thing, add a splash of lemon. It masks the bitterness that some folks don’t dig and brightens up the dish.

You can serve this stir-fry as a side dish or use it as a bed of greens for some roasted meat. This will also be great with a good slice of buttered sourdough.     

 
 
Simple Collard Green Stir-Fry (Makes 4 servings)

3 tablespoons olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
5 mushrooms or more (I used cremini), sliced
1 carrot, sliced into half moons
1 bunch collard greens, stems included, sliced into thin ribbons
4 oz mini bell peppers (or a large bell pepper), sliced
salt
fresh ground black pepper
a pinch of red pepper flakes
lemon slices, optional
 

Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. When the oil is hot, but not smoking, sauté the garlic until you see golden specks, about a minute. Add the mushrooms and cook until fragrant and shrunken, about 2 minutes. Toss in a generous pinch of salt and stir for a few seconds. Stir in carrot slices and let cook for a little over a minute. Add the collard greens and cook for 2 minutes, until it starts to wilt. Toss in 2 generous pinches of salt and stir to mix for a few seconds. Add the bell peppers and cook for about 3 minutes. Toss in another generous pinch of salt, some fresh ground black pepper, and a generous pinch of red pepper flakes. Let cook for about 2 more minutes, stirring often. Turn the heat off and remove pan away from heat. Serve warm.

Optional: Squeeze some fresh lemon juice into the stir-fry to add brightness.

3 comments:

  1. I probably have about one day a week like that - where I just eat a ton of crap and feel compelled to make up for it! Love how veggie-full this dish is! So much goodness in here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I just bought a HUGE pie from Costco, and I just had a slice of it for breakfast. I feel that I need to make up for it with veggies too! This looks totally great

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy recipe! I think this is perfect for my breakfast because I really want eating vegetables every morning. Anyway, if you want more recipes, I recommend you to visit the site that I've found about stir fry recipes, just click here and see all the recipes.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what your thoughts are... Your comments always make my day!