Sunday, November 18, 2012

502

Cold, Sunday afternoons are meant for taking long, long naps. Especially after only six hours of sleep every night for the past couple of days. That was my body’s way of telling me that I am physically and mentally tired. Physical tiredness is something I love and actually even crave at times. This morning I made scones, went on a 3 mile hike with friends, went to a Body Flow class, did some shoulder strengthening workouts, and made a big thing of fried rice for lunch. Normally, that would leave me feeling awesome. But there are some mental and emotional angst that I have also been harboring and that kind of stress is hard for me to deal with. Last Friday, it was heightened by a very stressful day at work which involved running (Sonic speed) after a student headed straight to a construction zone. Then again, today, due to an argument that started when my friends and I discussed Initiative 502, legalization of cannabis in Washington State.

Let me make this clear before going any further, I am not a political person and as a non-American citizen, am unable to vote. However, I am disgruntled about the passing of Initiative 502 in Washington State and Colorado. I am strongly against it for the plain and simple reason that I believe there are enough evils out there. My fear is that being able to buy an ounce of marijuana legally might increase the risk of kids getting ahold of it... they could get it from older friends, older siblings, somehow find their parents’ secret stash, who knows? If young individuals see that smoking pot is not such a bad thing because it is legal, they might look forward to the day they turn 21 so they can start getting high. It might be like the excitement of finally being able to drink legally.

Initiative 502 might have some cons that I care about such as getting marijuana dealers out of business and decriminalization of marijuana users. As for the rest of it, it is too much for my brain to wrap around. This article is a really good write-up on the opposition of I-502. Check it out.

Cooking usually makes me feel better… but, right now, I cannot muster the energy to make the Food Matter’s Project, Whole Wheat Carrot Gnocchi, chosen by the awesome Joanne of Eats Well with Others. (I love that girl... even though we have never met, I consider her one of my blogging buddies.) Joanne, tomorrow night your FMP pick is our dinner! Friends, do come back in a few days for the recipe. Cross your fingers that I won’t mess it up!

Have a great week everyone!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what your thoughts are... Your comments always make my day!