Thursday, July 12, 2012

Skillet Broccoli Breakfast

Broccoli for breakfast is my new breakfast for champions. Here's a great recipe idea to jump start your day... I'm keeping this recipe loose because when I woke up Sunday morning, I just threw all these ingredients in a pan without measuring anything and with no other goal in mind other than to use up all the vegetables that we have in the refrigerator. However, it turned out so amazingly good and I loved it so much, I just have to share it with all of you...



Feel free to use bacon instead of sausage. If you use bacon, I would recommend crushing the bacon into bits after it cooks and setting it aside. Cook the veggies in a little bit of the bacon oil and then throw the bacon bits in the pan right before turning the heat off. You can also use or add garlic and onions here, some carrots, zucchini, mushrooms, and extra greens (spinach, kale, collard greens, Swiss chard, what have you).

If you have a cast iron skillet, this is something that would totally cook great in it. I would have used mine, but I only have one and I want to keep it vegetarian for now.


Skillet Broccoli Breakfast (Makes 2-3 servings)

olive oil
1 breakfast sausage patty
3 mini bell peppers, chopped
1 head of broccoli, chopped
salt
pepper
paprika
small handful of cherry tomatoes, cut in half
green onions, minced
eggs

Heat some olive oil in a large, nonstick skillet. Don't use too much because the sausage is already full of fat! Place the sausage patty in the pan and break it into little pieces with your spatula. Once it starts turning brown, add the bell peppers and cook for about a minute. Toss the broccoli in and cook until it turns an even darker shade of green and is slightly soft. Generously season with salt, pepper, and some paprika. Throw in the cherry tomatoes and half of the green onions. Stir for about a minute. Add the rest of the green onions and stir.

Crack eggs over the vegetables. Sprinkle salt and pepper over the eggs then cover the skillet. Let the eggs cook to the consistency of your liking. Turn the heat off and serve right away.



Start your day right by filling your belly with healthy veggies!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Margarita,
    This looks so healthy and delicious! Going to make this soon, need to lose some weight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This definitely looks like a great way to start the day. Whenever I cook with bacon, I also cook everything else in the fat afterwards (such as the hashbrowns, eggs...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This does look like a great way to start the day. I used to make omelets with broccoli quite a bit. But this bumps up the green factor even more. Sometimes the best dishes are the ones we just throw together, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what your thoughts are... Your comments always make my day!