Saturday, May 12, 2012

Rhubarb Spelt Bread

Getting sick is not fun. After a run and a Body Flow class at the gym on Wednesday, I tried to lift weights but had no energy to even do one set. I figured I just had a long day and needed to take it easy. However, as the night wore on my throat started feeling weird and coughing fits started. The kind that wears your throat dry and raw. Painful.

The next day, I made it to work just long enough to help one of my students go through his culminating project presentation then went home. I spent the whole morning sleeping and woke up to eat lunch and some soup. A fever had started building up in my body and I was cold. I fell asleep again and woke up with enough energy to bake this Rhubarb Spelt Bread and make some dinner.

Since yesterday was Friday, I decided to suck it up and go to work despite feeling crappy the whole day. My throat hurt like crazy and coughing hurt so much. As soon as I got home, I slept for two hours… Friday afternoon yoga class was not at all possible. Today, I am still sick and even though I spent the entire morning sleeping, I don’t have enough energy to muster a simple task, such as taking decent pictures of bread slices. My apologies, this is all I have.




























My Rhubarb Spelt Bread recipe was inspired from Tessa Kiros’ Berry and Buttermilk Cake. Her cookbook, Apples for Jam, is one of my favorites… the recipes are simple and beautiful. Most of her desserts don’t require much sugar and I appreciate that. Sure I love decadent desserts every now and then, but most of the time, I just really want simple and wholesome desserts. A dessert that is sweetened by luscious fruit or dollops of honey.




























This bread is not cake sweet but it is versatile and can be eaten as a breakfast, snack, or dessert (if you add sweet embelishments). Very simple… a slice of comfort and love. It has a nice nutty texture, moist from the rhubarb slices, and just a hint of sweetness. 

One of the best parts of making this bread was the smell of rhubarb cooking… to me it smells like sweet, super creamy milk… delightful!


Rhubarb Spelt Bread
Inspiration from Tessa Kiros' Berry and Buttermilk Cake, Apples for Jam

2 ½ cups spelt flour
1 tbsp baking powder
½ cup brown sugar

zest of 1 Meyer lemon
seeds of ½ vanilla pod (save the pod)
1 tsp cinnamon

½ cup milk
½ cup heavy whipping cream
juice of 1 Meyer lemon

1 tsp coconut oil
3 long stalks of rhubarb, chopped
1 tbsp honey
used vanilla pod  

2 large eggs
4 tbsp coconut oil, melted and cooled
1 tbsp honey

a tad of unmelted coconut oil


In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour and baking powder.

Pour the sugar in a small mixing bowl and rub in the Meyer lemon zest and vanilla seeds. Do not discard the vanilla pod, you will need it for one of the next steps. Move the sugar mixture into the flour mixture and whisk well.

In a measuring cup, pour milk, whipping cream, and the juice of the Meyer lemon. Stir for a few seconds and let sit for at least 15 minutes until the mixture curdles (you will know it has curdled when clumps form).

Heat the coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When the oil is hot, throw in the chopped rhubarb and cook for 2 minutes. Add the honey and the used vanilla pod and cook for 2 more minutes. Turn off the heat and immediately move the contents of the pan (including the juices) into a bowl and let cool.

Move the oven rack to the middle position and preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Using an electric mixer, beat the eggs on low in a medium size mixing bowl, until it changes into a light consistency. Pour in the curdled milk mixture and mix on low until well incorporated. Add the melted coconut oil and honey and continue to mix on low until well incorporated.  

Slowly pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and beat on low until everything is well combined. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in the cooked rhubarb including the juices.

Spread the unmelted coconut oil all over the inside of a cake or loaf pan (I used an 8x4 inch loaf pan). Bake for 34-38 minutes. It is done when the top and outer edges turn into a nice golden brown.   




























Serve this bread with a drizzle of honey and a cup of tea or a glass of milk. Pat it with butter and serve it for breakfast with eggs and a cup of coffee. Use the bread for a fancy French toast. Eat it as an afternoon snack with peanut butter and jam. Top it with vanilla ice cream and chocolate sauce. Or simply eat it with some fruit on the side. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. wow..looks scrumptiously tasty
    awesome presentation
    new to your space
    happy following you..:)
    do stop by mine sometime
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw! I hope you get better soon!!
    I don't know how you do it, but this looks delicious! I can barely get out of bed when I'm sick. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the looks of this. I'm always interested to see how rhubarb is incorporated into all kinds of things-savory and sweet. I bet this is delicious warm from the oven!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what your thoughts are... Your comments always make my day!