Saturday, May 19, 2012

Greek Yogurt Lentils

Hello everyone! I am not quite sure who visits my blog other than my friends who leave nice comments that always make me smile. You know who you are and I would like you to know that your comments brighten up my day and I thank you for taking time to do so. Someday, I hope we can all get the chance to meet, cook together, or just dine, and be very merry. Wouldn’t that be lovely? If you don’t leave comments, that’s ok too… I’m just curious to know who you are and would like to say thank you very much for stopping by, checking out recipes, and reading some silly stories. A big smile from me to all of you!   

When I first had this lentil dish on my bruschetta, I wasn’t really taken by it… It was good but it seemed to lack something I couldn’t put my finger on. Was it because I didn’t use the exact same ingredients or follow the directions closely? DFJ loved it from the first time he tasted it… and I trust his judgment. This man knows what’s delicious and what’s not and he tells me honestly if something I make isn’t really that great.

However, over the next few days, I came to love this lentil dish and proceeded to eat it in different ways… as a burrito with whole wheat tortillas and melted cheese, dip for Cheez-its (very classy, I know), and poached eggs and cayenne or paprika on top (my favorite)!

The original recipe from Yotam Ottolenghi’s Plenty required the use of puy lentils. I’ve never heard of puy lentils but it’s supposed to be special because of a richer, nuttier flavor from being grown on volcanic soil. I just used regular green lentils and I still loved it! *Wink!* Ottolenghi serves this dish on puff pastry, so definitely do that if you have some on hand.    

This lentil dish tastes like no other I have made before… it has a unique, fresh taste and is creamy, light, and tangy with a cool finish from the cilantro and mint.




Greek Yogurt Lentils
Adapted from Ottolenghi’s Puy Lentil Galletes, Plenty

1 cup green lentils
1 quart water
1 bay leaf

2 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium onion, roughly chopped
2 cups kale, roughly chopped
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander

1 cup Greek yogurt
1 tsp olive oil
juice of 1 Meyer lemon 
3 tbsp cilantro, chopped
3 tbsp mint, chopped
salt
pepper

Rinse the lentils and cook in a large pot with one quart of water and the bay leaf. Start cooking over medium heat with the cover on until it boils, then turn the heat down to medium low and leave the cover slightly opened until the lentils are thoroughly cooked, about 25-35 minutes or more. Check the pot and stir lentils every now and then. Drain lentils with a strainer and set aside.

In a large frying pan, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat and sauté the garlic until golden brown. Turn the heat down to medium low and add the onions, let cook for about 6 minutes until soft and translucent. Toss in the kale and stir. Add the cumin and coriander about a minute after tossing the kale in and stir everything together for 2 more minutes. Turn off the heat and move the pan away from the heat. Mix the lentils in the pan and set aside to cool down. 

In a small bowl, mix the yogurt, olive oil, lemon juice, cilantro, and mint. Add the yogurt mixture to the lentil mixture once it cools down. Season with salt and pepper to taste.  

Serving recommendations:
1. A topping for sourdough bruschetta.
2. A topping on baked puff pastry.
3. Filling for whole wheat tortilla burritos with cheese.
4. Cook lentils in a skillet with poached eggs on top and a good sprinkle of salt, pepper, and cayenne or paprika. Seriously my favorite!




Have a great weekend you guys! Do something that will make you smile!

5 comments:

  1. Healthful and delicious, a great combination. And we all feel like we are writing to Godot!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading! This looks great, and so versatile :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, your stories aren't silly, they are great ;) And your recipes always look delicious.
    This one is no different. I have never heard of puy lentils either. I don't think it matters though, YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Margarita,
    I love reading your blog and it would be fun to cook for each other and meet. We love lentils at my house and this would get wiped out in no time. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is my first time visiting your blog, and I really like it!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what your thoughts are... Your comments always make my day!