Friday, January 20, 2012

Egg Salad Sandwich Nostalgia

My mother is an amazing woman! She was widowed at a young age and had 4 little children to take care of. I don’t know how she managed to do that, but she did.

One of the things I fondly reminisce about my childhood days is my mother’s egg salad sandwich spread. She would make a big batch of it on Sundays and store it in a recycled mayonnaise jar. Then we can take egg salad sandwiches to school to snack on!

Her original recipe used hard boiled eggs and mayonnaise. But, I make mine a little different just because I happened to have this idea one day and decided to try it… and it turned out good. It’s quite different from my mom’s, but very tasty all the same.     





Egg Salad Sandwich
queso fresco

1 tsp olive oil
2 sage leaves, torn
2 large eggs
2 stalks green onions, minced
4 tbsp plain, whole milk Greek yogurt
4 tbsp queso fresco, shredded
1 tbsp cheddar cheese, shredded
dashes of Tabasco (however much you want)
pinch of salt, to taste




Heat olive oil in a non-stick pan. Over medium heat, cook sage in the oil for about 2-3 minutes until they turn brownish.

Crack eggs and sprinkle the top with salt and pepper. Fry eggs in pan until the yolks are well-done, about 6-8 minutes. The bottom will turn brown, but that’s ok. The burnt part adds flavor and texture. Put a lid over pan to help the yolks cook better. Move eggs into a medium mixing bowl.
 
Return pan to the burner without the heat on and stir the green onions in the leftover heat.

Meanwhile, shred the eggs into small pieces. Add yogurt, queso fresco, cheddar cheese, tabasco, salt, and green onions. Mix all ingredients together.






Use right away...  





Look Ma! My egg salad is in a recycled container too!
Love you!



... or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what your thoughts are... Your comments always make my day!